Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
You're a pedigreed embedded software engineer with a great track record of success developing against rigorous coding processes and you're eager to find a breakout opportunity for technical, professional, and personal growth. You've guided development successfully for real-time, embedded systems - ideally for ground-based, autonomous vehicles that have gone well beyond the proof-of-concept phase.
The Head of Embedded Software Engineering will be responsible for leading the design for and contributing to all applications of embedded software in the Outrider System, including vehicle controls, actuation, and navigation; signal processing; and communications. In addition, this role will provide engineering support for Outrider's customer pilot deployment programs through all phases.
This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for logistics automation. The opportunity offers a very talented embedded software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and contribute to embedded software module development for the Outrider vehicle controller, navigation, and actuation subsystems through all phases of the lifecycle: requirements, algorithm design, source code implementation, unit test, and support
- Provision and support hardware & software updates to be released and rolled out to customer sites
- Serve as the technical manager and project lead, guiding a team of embedded software developers through a rigorous process and reaching coding milestones predictably against an ambitious schedule
- Understand, implement, and enforce coding practices according to widely adopted functional safety specifications (e.g., ISO 26262 or IEC 61508)
- Lead code reviews with an eye toward process and schedule, diving into the codebase whenever necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical/electronics engineering, or a related field
- 3-5+ years' C development experience in embedded applications
- Background in embedded software development for marine, ground, air, or space vehicles, autonomous or otherwise
- Familiarity with real-time operating systems (RTOS) development
- Experience with classical and modern control techniques
- Prior projects or work tuning controllers (PID, LQR)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer locations (up to 25%)
- Sterling references
- Experience developing software for safety-critical applications
- Familiarity with functional safety specifications, ideally ISO 26262 or IEC 61508 (other relevant standards include MIL-STD-882 and ISO 13849)
- Comfort with adaptive, robust, or optimal control
- Academic and professional background with Kalman filtering, including extended and unscented variants
- A pedigree in robotics and/or autonomous vehicle systems
- Master’s degree in computer science, mechanical engineering, robotics, electrical/electronics engineering, or computer engineering
- Familiarity with C++, Python, and/or ROS
- Experience with the CAN bus standard and/or Ethernet and UDP
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.