Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
char.gy is an electric vehicle charging service. We design and manufacture the hardware, and write the software that communicates with the charge points and that the customers use to charge their car. It's a very rapidly growing industry that bridges transport, green energy, and the Internet of Things.
char.gy has come from humble beginnings in June 2016 - from a prototype in a cardboard box; to a metal box; to a 3D printed metal enclosure; to a sand-cast enclosure; to a die-cast aluminium enclosure certified to ISO 61851. We were the first lamppost mounted public charge point in the UK. A large proportion of the cost of installing a charge point is digging up the road and laying cables. Reusing the existing power supply in lampposts dramatically reduces costs and enables drivers without off-street parking.
- Own the design of new hardware products and revisions of existing, liaising with all interested internal and external parties to incorporate feature requests and legal requirements. This will include physical design, electrical design, electrical safety design, design for manufacture and functional design.
- Understand compliance with standards and ensure compliance of the products, including understanding the standards, product documentation, facilitate certification, external certification, and ongoing notifications of changes.
- Manage the set up of, and hand-over to, manufacture, either internally or with external contract manufacturers.
- Product installation instructions for the products and ensure compliance with standards.
- Ongoing quality assurance of manufactured products against the expected designs.
- Set up and manage the hardware quality management system.
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance (pro rata where applicable)
- 10 ‘Innovation Days’ per year to explore your own ideas (pro rata where applicable)
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus holiday benefits
- Family-friendly policies
- Flexible location
- MacBook and iPhone
- Life Assurance after qualifying period
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) after qualifying period
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.