Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week
The Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is a new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! Within the Software Defined Vehicle, GM is developing the next generation of embedded platform software to deliver state of the art Infotainment features on the Ultifi platform.
We are building an Infotainment platform software team which is tasked with two critical roles: co-developing, along with the supplier, the software that will run GM’s next generation infotainment system and developing the talent and tools necessary to allow GM to take ownership of the resulting software stack. This team is solely responsible for developing and maintaining GM’s entire infotainment software platform. That's a lot to handle! So, we are looking for senior engineers with a very proven knowledge in developing RTOS and Android software solutions who are interested in applying their experience to delivering high quality software for future automotive Infotainment systems.
- Contribute as system level engineer to build, integrate, and optimize security-related Linux and Android components into an RTOS based infotainment solution for automotive consumer devices
- Be responsible for the entire life cycle of the security domain, including requirements, system design, development, deployment, and maintenance of the infotainment software
- Participate in the design of a best-in-class in-vehicle platform for GM infotainment systems
- Follow our software development process where quality comes first and ensure that the designed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security
- Ensure communication “bridge” between various internal and external technical teams to make appropriate system-level design trade-offs, refine system requirements, and identify innovation opportunities
- Work on new feature development, as well as maintenance of existing features and bug fixes
- Collaborate with team members in software development activities using the Scrum/Agile development process
- Write clear and complete documentation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related degree
- Minimum of 2 or more years in Software Development on RTOS/QNX and Android platforms, especially at the system level, including native Android and Java framework
- Strong experience debugging complex existing code base in C, C++, and Java
- Experience using scripting languages such as shell and Python
- In depth experience with Scrum/Agile software development process and SCM tools like Git, Gerrit, OpenGrok
- Master’s degree in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- Practical knowledge of computer security related technologies such as encryption, certificates, vulnerabilities detection and mitigation as well as development and management of security policies for Linux OS and various RTOS
- Prior experience with vehicle infotainment systems
- Experience with automotive and/or portable consumer electronic devices
- 8 or more years in Software Development on RTOS/QNX and Android platforms, especially at the system level, including native Android and Java framework
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.