Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
EMBEDDED SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to those that need it most. We design, build, and launch the world's largest and most advanced satellite constellation that is capable of delivering high-speed internet to even the most remote locations. And while our hardware and network are incredibly advanced, we keep the end-user experience impressively simple - our users have internet within 10 minutes of unboxing.
We are looking for an engineer that has interest in software development for the Starlink consumer product team in Los Angeles. This role is very hands-on with hardware and you will write software all the way from embedded firmware to high-level test code. This includes the design of tests necessary to demonstrate proper RF/antenna functionality in Wi-Fi routers and fully digital beamforming array systems. In this role, you will be part of a larger team comprised of electrical, antenna, and manufacturing engineers that are responsible for the validation and debugging of high-performance RF systems used in the Starlink constellation and consumer products that we ship to users all over the world.
You will be responsible for developing tools and software for automated test equipment control, data collection, and analysis along with code that runs on the actual hardware itself. The software you will be developing will often be for unique tests to investigate the performance of a phased array system, Wi-Fi router, or other Starlink products. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Design and build unique and technically challenging automated measurement systems, including both hardware and software design
- Write embedded software running on phased arrays and Wi-Fi routers along with automation software to interact with test equipment, instrumentation, and documentation systems (results databases, design data sources, etc.)
- Propose and develop longer-term software architectures for automated test infrastructure, encompassing instrument control, data capture, data analysis and data organization
- Collaborate with RF, antenna, electrical, silicon, mechanical, PCB layout, and manufacturing teams to understand device performance and help resolve design or manufacturing issues
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline; OR 2+ years of experience in software development in lieu of a degree.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or physics
- 1+ years of experience with software development on linux servers managed through tools such as ansible/puppet and tested in CI with tools like Bamboo
- 1+ years of experience with RF test equipment such as spectrum analyzers/generators, anechoic chambers, and other equipment
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills (both software and hardware)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.