Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Spot AI was formed by engineers from Stanford, Cisco Meraki, and Samsara, with the mission of visually indexing the physical world and making that data useful to everyone at work.
With an easy-to-use AI camera system, Spot AI unlocks the power of video data, transforming that into Video Intelligence that helps companies improve their security, safety, efficiency, and more.
In the world of Video Surveillance, security pros would access systems once in a few months to catch the bad guy. In the new world of Video Intelligence, everyone at work - including operations pros, environmental health and safety, security, and the frontline workforce - will all use video intelligence to make better decisions every day.
Spot AI has been quietly building its technology and customer base since founding in 2018, and already has hundreds of customers and thousands of users. Notably, its customers reach well beyond tech early adopters, including transportation company Cheeseman, Mixt, and Northland Cold Storage.
In 2021, Spot AI scaled bookings 10x and is continuing to grow aggressively. Backed by Redpoint, Bessemer, and Village Global, Spot AI is well-positioned to disrupt the $30b video surveillance market and lead the $100b Video Intelligence movement.
Who You Are:
We are looking for a **Firmware Engineer** to develop software that runs on hundreds of appliances, used by customers across 13 verticals around the United States. You’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, building systems to gather meaningful event data, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events. You'll own firmware development end-to-end from EVT through sustaining operations.
Our appliances are Ubuntu and Yocto based. We write our embedded applications in Rust and Golang. Our video pipeline consists of FFmpeg, GStreamer, and WebRTC. Telemetry data is serialized to JSON or protocol buffers and sent to our backend using MQTT and Google Pub/Sub. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
What Excites You:
- Working in a startup environment with significant impact on the product
- You’ll get to work with tens of thousands of cameras already deployed to the field, with over 600 million minutes of video captured monthly and growing
- You enjoy working cross-functionally with different stakeholders across the company to deliver reliable high quality embedded software
- The opportunity to learn about customer problems and to directly solve them with your work
What Gets Our Attention:
- Heavy experience in embedded Linux environments
- 4+ years of experience in a production software engineering environment
- Understanding of OS fundamentals and experience working in both kernel and user space
- Understanding of video pipelines (FFmpeg or GStreamer knowledge with hardware acceleration)
- Have shipped production code to devices at scale
- Experience with networking (e.g. NAT hole punching, device discovery/nmap, tunnels, WebSockets, DNS, proxies, WireGuard)
- Experience with container technologies like Docker
Create Value: (1) Work backwards from the customer’s goals (2) Keep it simple (3) Be curious
Make Decisions: (1) Bias towards action (2) Focus on getting it right, not on being right (3) Bet on the long term
Work with Others: (1) Own your outcomes (2) Help your team (3) Communicate openly and deliberately
What We Offer:
- Long-term career growth and achievement opportunity
- Competitive salary with generous early stage equity
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- 401K with employer match
- 14 weeks of paid parental leave
- Learning and development opportunities
- Remote flexibility
- Work from home stipend to set-up home office
- Unlimited PTO
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.