Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,400 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
We are currently looking for a Senior Automation Engineer to help realize the huge potential of the “Internet of Things” and who recognize the value of open source software and hardware. We are building an open source IoT application framework called Legato (www.legato.io) which is designed with both usability and security in mind. Responsibilities will include software development, Test Automation Framework development, definition and production of prototypes, development of intellectual property and working with various groups across all of Sierra Wireless to define and develop new opportunities to use technology to solve problems in the wireless industry.
- Create elegant, usable, reliable and testable solutions to difficult problems
- Look for practical ways to innovate in the IoT/embedded computing space
- Create test plans for improving automated Unit Test/Functional Test for various aspects of DevOps, Test Automation Framework and Legato Software
- Use the best DevOps practices to optimize the software development process. Creating automated test scripts for Linux and Windows environments using Python/Groovy.
- Write clear, readable code in multiple programming languages
- Review and constructively comment on the work of others
- Test software and firmware builds using network signalling simulators on Windows and Linux platforms
- Collaborate closely with team members, project managers, and other teams to analyse requirements and resolve software issues
- Participate in on-line community forums, answering questions, and proposing solutions
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Knowledgeable in one or more technical fields (e.g. IOT applications, Linux drivers, security, network, etc.)
- Experience with embedded Linux and/or RTOS
- Experience in object oriented programming using C
- Experience with dynamically typed scripting languages e.g python
- Can identify dependencies and risks of a given task
- Can take on new initiatives and seen them through to completion
- Has a strong troubleshooting skills
- Happy to engage in cross functional team meetings
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Embedded Linux
- Developing under desktop Linux
- Git, repo, bitbake, and yocto
- Designing application programming interfaces (API's)
- Continuous integration
- IP networking
- IoT, security, and cryptography
- Open hardware platforms (Arduino, Raspberry PI, MangOH, etc.)
- Previous work on open source projects
- A love of writing documentation
- Willing to give talks in front of groups of people
- Willing to write whitepapers
- Device drivers
What We Offer
Our people are friendly, collaborative, and like to share their ideas and knowledge with one another. This creates an amazing environment where we learn from each other and innovate together.
Our Canadian benefits include paid vacation and sick days, extended health and dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, matching retirement savings program, and employee and family assistance programs.
Our Richmond headquarters offers a subsidized cafeteria, free parking, free shuttle service from Skytrain, a Wellness Program that includes an onsite fitness center, onsite fitness classes led by professional instructors, free healthy snacks each month, and wellness activities and challenges to keep our minds and bodies active. We also host various social and cultural events throughout the year where we come together to have fun and celebrate. Within our Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, our Employee Resource Groups provide opportunities for our people to support and champion Women in Tech, Pride at Sierra, and Mental Health Awareness.
If you like working with a successful team, are looking for competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to represent a recognized and innovative brand, we’d love to have you join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online through our careers website: www.iotstartswithus.com. If you are a job seeker with a disability and you need individualized support during the application or interview process, please leave us a note on your application form.
We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Sierra Wireless, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.