Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Cobham is seeking a Chief Engineer that will identify and lead technology initiatives and provide inputs into the technology roadmaps. The role contributes to and oversees development of new technologies, products, materials and / or processes and supports the activities necessary to complete major projects using their subject matter expertise. The role leads engagements with internal (across the Group) and external (research labs, universities, suppliers and customers) partners in the identification of emerging technologies and their application to differentiated, market leading, products. The role also provides mentoring and coaching of staff, and sharing of expertise to the broader technical community across the Group, including acting as a Design Review Chair and participation on Technology Council working groups. The role consults with and provides guidance across the Group on advanced technical issues, supports business development initiatives including customer engagements and bid and proposals. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within the Aircraft Systems Engineering team and a diverse line of Life Support and Aerial Refueling products for defense and commercial aerospace. This position is located in Davenport, Iowa.
- Lead requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of system, subsystem or system elements with little or no supervision
- Lead customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements and components)
- Leads and/or facilitates Functional Configuration Audits.
- Leads System Requirements Review; provide support for Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews and Test Readiness Reviews.
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and projects
- Recognize various architectural patterns, applies them appropriately, understands strengths/weaknesses within those architectures and develops architectural variations as necessary
- Ability to clearly report information relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Understand and applies project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls
- Supports Integrated Product Teams in the inception, design & execution of complex engineering projects over the full life cycle of product development.
- Analyzes and documents multi-disciplinary requirements including, but not limited to, mechanical, electro-mechanical, software, safety and reliability.
- Conducts requirements quality audits and assessments.
- Participates in proposal development: parses statement of work and requirements into standard work breakdown structures and generates estimates for project requirements management function.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions. • Application of deep domain knowledge to grow the business
- Continue to develop domain expertise
- Design Authority sign off as Chief Engineer (as needed in some businesses)
- Propose and develop new technologies, materials and processes to maintain and grow our technology differentiations
- Propose and develop new products
- Collaborate with customers on the development of aligned roadmaps and product solutions
- Collaborate with external partners (for examples: research labs, universities and suppliers) on the development of new and emerging technologies and products
- Represent Cobham’s interests on external committees (e.g., standards) • Create business winning technical proposals
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of technology roadmaps
- Collaborate with peers from across the Group on significant initiatives and opportunities for integrated solutions
- Participate on, and contribute to, the Technology Council as required
- Provide support to the Sector BD & Technology Lead as required
- Mentor and coach the technical community
- ABET accredited BS Degree in an Engineering field.
- 15 years of experience in the aerospace industry.
- Demonstrated substantial technical expertise and domain knowledge
- Recognized Subject Matter Expert within at least one of the Davenport product lines.
- Demonstrable and sustained contributions to design of technology differentiated and market leading products and services
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible, you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- ABET accredited MS Degree in an Engineering field.
- Experience leading / facilitating cross functional meetings
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Articulate and comfortable engaging with a diverse set of stakeholders (in person events and principal systems engineering level) and tailoring a good message
- Strong demonstrated skills with MS Office skills, particularly MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Knowledge or experience in the development of nitrogen or oxygen products for military applications.
For more information regarding the Davenport facility and products manufactured there, please visit the below links:
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.