Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Project Canary is a SaaS-based data analytics company focused on environmental performance or the E in ESG for energy and additional business sectors. We are the leaders in assessing and scoring responsible operations and provide independent, measured emission profiles, including methane, via high fidelity continuous monitoring technology that helps companies take ESG action. Formed as a Public Benefit Corporation (B-Corp rating score 107), Project Canary’s Denver and Hayward-based team of technologists, engineers, and seasoned industry operators have earned recognition for their uncompromising standards and high-fidelity data.
Project Canary’s mission is to fight climate change and put actionable insights starting with the energy sector. We ingest data from various sources, including our own proprietary environmental sensors/hardware, to calculate carbon emissions from different facilities in real-time via SaaS. The resulting independent data can inform the procurement of offsets in real-time using microtransactions, formulate a data-driven ESG strategy that investors now demand, improve operations by identifying problem areas in minutes, and bolster customer engagement through radical supply chain transparency.
Founded in 2019, Project Canary, PBC has quickly gained recognition as a major mover in the continuous monitoring space. Here are some highlights from last year:
- Fundraise totaling $121M, Series A of $10M in 2021 and Series B of $111M in 2022
- Certified as a B-Corporation with a score of 107.6
- Recognized as Best for the World (top 5% of all B-Corps) in 2 out of 5 categories
- Governance (transparency and ethics)
- Workers (treatment of teammates and culture)
- Additional recognition and awards for our culture (more to come soon!)
- eNPS score of 72 (most recent measurement in Q4 of 2021)
- Headcount growth by 6X and growing
- Revenue growth of 6X and growing
Project Canary’s success is attributed to the motivation, skill, and teamwork of everyone. The team understands the importance of maintaining a culture where relationships are valued, feedback is crucial, and trust in each other and our products/services is paramount. If you enjoy a growth-stage environment, mission-driven work, we want to hear from you.
The Embedded Software Engineer will be working with the Systems Engineering team writing firmware for embedded systems in Project Canary’s continuous monitoring devices. This role will require reading datasheets and schematics to develop communication with new and existing sensors, new board bring up, and various other firmware and embedded systems related tasks.
- Firmware design and development of microcontroller-based devices
- Help create, maintain, and adhere to company coding standards
- Maintain Revision Control
- Create and maintain design and user documentation
- Perform system failure analysis on firmware related issues
- Support electrical bring-up and debug of prototype hardware
Education and experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field
- 3+ years of embedded firmware development experience
- Experience with multi-threaded programming in an operating system, RTOS preferred
- Experience with multiple serial protocols (e.g. UART, I2C, SPI, CAN)
- Experience with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and protocol decoders
- Working knowledge of Python
- Strong understanding of OOP concepts
- Vaccination required
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Amazon FreeRTOS for IoT devices connecting to Amazon Web Services
- Experience with IoT devices using cellular modem for communications
- Full coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance (low deductibles)
- 401K company match (no vesting period)
- Stock options
- Student loan assistance
- Unlimited PTO (minimum rule of taking at least 3 weeks off in a year)
- Company sponsored wellness days (Fall hike, ski/snowboard days and more)
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave (gender neutral) including adoptions
- Flex Choice – choice between free parking, free RTD, or wellness assistance
- Salary range: $100,000 - $140,000 annual base
- Flexible work environment - hybrid - must reside near Denver
Project Canary provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.