Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Careers that Change Lives
You will be a key member of Medtronic’s Minimally Invasive Therapies Group (MITG) Business Unit new product development team working to commercialize a Surgical Robotics Platform.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
The Minimally Invasive Therapies Group strives to enable earlier diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free recovery, and enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical solutions.
SURGICAL INNOVATIONS set the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and the head and neck.
A Day in the Life
This position is in the Boston, MA: This Senior Software Engineer will work within the Medtronic R&D engineering team to develop and support the software used in the Surgeon Console for the next generation robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery system. The software in the Surgeon Console subsystem will control hardware devices, such as robotic arms and actuators. The software will also interact with sensors, GPIO devices and other physical hardware, communicate microcontrollers and with other networked devices, and monitor/respond to diverse conditions.
- Design software for a robotic minimally invasive surgery system, utilizing object oriented software design principles and other best practices
- Produce documentation describing the design
- Produce high quality C++ code consistent with the written design
- Implement unit tests and uses static analysis tools to identify and address potential defects in the implementation
- Integrate software with electronics and hardware
- Participate in reviews of the requirements, design, implementation and tests to ensure that all software meets quality standards.
- Perform Risk Management and root cause analysis
- Analyze unexpected, undesirable or non-understood behavior in software and in interactions of software with hardware
- Document results of defect analysis
- Follow the ISO 62304 standard and project documents such as the software development plan and coding standards
Must Have: Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
Nice to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and/or Biomedical Engineering, or equivalent degree. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Strong coding skills in C++ (including object-oriented techniques) required
- Object-oriented design and development is required
- Background in robotics, controls or sensors strongly preferred
- Background in embedded software development in C++ or C is a strong plus
- Basic understanding of standard OS features (e.g. threading and concurrency, memory management, device drivers, I/O, etc.) is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with real-time operating systems is a plus
- Experience implementing software for medical products under ISO 62304 preferred
- Experience with one or more source code management tool is required
- Experience with one or more unit-testing tool is strongly preferred
- Experience with one or more static analysis tool is a plus
- Must be able to work in a team environment and meet deadlines
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position. The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.