Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Are you passionate about engineering and its application to electronic music making?
Do you have experience in embedded software/firmware engineering, product development, recent leadership experience and a desire to grow into a role where you will lead and inspire a talented team?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then we’d love to hear from you. We are looking for someone to lead and line manage a growing team of firmware developers, as they develop our next generation of audio interfaces, synthesisers, grooveboxes and MIDI controllers.
What you’ll be doing:
Managing the day to day needs of 10+ embedded software engineers who work on upstream new technology investigation, through product development and delivery, to ongoing maintenance of products in the market.
Working closely with Programme Lead Engineers and Subject Matter Experts to harness your team’s strengths and address development needs. You’ll be intimate with the bigger picture programme roadmaps and needs of concurrent active projects, helping your team with prioritisation, identifying opportunities for efficiency, effective communication and ensuring engagement with the wider project team.
You’ll acquire deep understanding of the products, business needs and stakeholders to help your team make informed and pragmatic decisions. The team will need your leadership and coaching skills to guide them through the range of challenges to meet the growing needs of the business.
You’ll be reporting to the Head of Embedded Engineering and collaborating closely with the wider engineering leadership team.
- Regular 1:1s, goal setting, feedback, appraisals
- Forecasting project resourcing needs and creating models to inform roadmap sequencing and hiring needs
- Recruitment, training, team capacity/resilience, career progression planning
- Energising the team, staying focused on the key goals whilst fostering a sense of fun and creativity
- Representing the team’s interests in status, roadmap and staffing meetings
- Continuously evolving processes to ensure delivery of efficient, high quality code
- Helping the team with optimising the development approach agile / waterfall and guiding the team on development practices
- Continuous improvement, guiding the team in learning lessons and implementing best practice across the team
- Where appropriate engaging with contractors to achieve business goals
An ideal candidate is likely to be:
- A good communicator who is able to articulate complex problems to a range of audiences
- Someone who can inspire by setting an ambitious but realistic vision and then motivate a team to achieve it
- Experienced in guiding a team to use appropriate development methodologies such as peer review, TDD, unit testing, XP and automation
- Comfortable collaborating with an embedded electronics team
- Aware of embedded software development languages, architectures and tools e.g. C, C++, scripting, bare metal, RTOS, Linux , DSP, SVN, Git, Jenkins with some hands on experience
- Able to guide a team with approaches to robust firmware design e.g. requirements capture, story boarding, system design tools, documentation
- Familiar with a range of microprocessors and related technologies
- Interested and inquisitive about audio, music and music technology
Focusrite plc is a global music and audio group that develops and markets music technology products. Used by audio professionals and amateur musicians alike, its solutions facilitate the high-quality production of recorded and live sound. Our audio technology brands stand together, seeking to enrich lives through music by removing barriers to creativity – ‘we make music easy to make’.
The Focusrite Group trades under eight established and rapidly growing brands: Focusrite, Focusrite Pro, Novation, ADAM Audio, Sequential, Martin Audio, Optimal Audio and Ampify Music. With a high-quality reputation and a rich heritage spanning decades, its brands are category leaders in the music-making industry.
Music technology is an enriching space to work in and we enjoy a Group-wide open-door culture which encourages innovation. This culture, combined with a passion for the inspirational solutions we create, has led to the group winning numerous accolades, including four Queen's Awards for Enterprise and the AIM Company of the Year Award 2021.
The Focusrite Group is dedicated to building a great place to work and as an equal opportunity employer we are committed to Diversity and Inclusion. The group mission is to cultivate an equitable culture, internally and externally, where all people feel they are welcome and positively represented, whether office-based or working remotely. Equally, we recognise the major impact that climate change is having on our world and work every day towards being industry leaders in a carbon neutral future.
Benefits include flexible/hybrid working, company pension, life insurance, private healthcare, employee purchase scheme, company music events, free breakfast/lunch in the canteen at Focusrite HQ. We arrange company training sessions and encourage personal development.