Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Job Ref No: P7002BF
Directorate: Technical Directorate
MBDA Level of role: Level 4
Reports to: GCN Team Lead
What’s the opportunity?
A vacancy has arisen for an experienced Guidance, Control and Navigation Engineer to become a key member of a dynamic team working on a fast-moving and challenging project. The function has responsibilities for algorithm development and proving in the following domains:
- Autopilots and control systems
- Mid-Course guidance
- Terminal and Homing Guidance
- IIR and RF image and signal processing for target acquisition and tracking
- Propulsion control
- Integrated Navigation, including GPS integration and Terrain Referenced Navigation
- Data fusion
- Command and Control
- Mission Planning algorithms- These algorithms are central to the design and development of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. Algorithms are developed at many stages of the lifecycle of the product including:
- Research studies, both externally and internally funded, to investigate algorithms for future developments
- Algorithms to support initial missile feasibility and concept studies
- Algorithms in support of assessment and development programmes
- GCN Engineers are involved in all stages of the lifecycle and play a central role in our product development.
- This role can include specialist engineering roles within teams with no significant budget or management responsibilities, to full responsibility for small teams and task packages
What will you be doing?
- You will be responsible for the development of specific algorithms or studies to support a key programme within MBDA
- Responsibilities can include concept studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, trials preparation, trials analysis and reporting, architecture definition, algorithm and model validation
- You will be autonomous and will be able to act as a point of contact for GCN’s interactions with the other project teams e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation and Technical Quality
- You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems along with preparing and developing solutions either individually or as a member of a project team
- You will engage with the algorithm users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for their intended use
What are the benefits for you?
- You will gain anin-depth knowledge of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your model development work. You will understand how GCN supports our weapon system products and gain insight into a number of related disciplines with whom we have a high level of interactions (e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, Technical Quality).
- You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems
- You will have the opportunity to work within one of the international functions in MBDA. The GCN Function has team members in two MBDA sites (Bristol and Paris) and has strong links to our MBDA site in Rome
What’s great about joining this team?
- GCN Teams have a central role in the concept definition and development of our products
- GCN Teams work across all MBDA UK products, giving depth of experience and opportunity to all team members
- You will be joining a hard-working team with a successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- A simulating environment with rewarding opportunities
- GCN engineers are generally co-located in function, allowing a good team spirit and functional identity
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- We are continuously improving to bring benefits to the programmes we are involved in. This includes algorithmic approach, processes, methods and toolsets, each of which brings a variety of specific challenges to solve in order to fully exploit new benefits across a wide range of programmes.
What are welooking for from you?
- An appropriate good Degree or Masters with a strong mathematical content e.g. Aerospace Engineering, Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics
- Relevant experience of applicable algorithms i.e. Guidance, Control, Data Fusion, Navigation, Image Processing.
- Ideally knowledge and experience of some of the following:
- flight dynamics and aerodynamics
- sensors (e.g. IMUs, GPS, RF and IR seekers)
- actuation systems in relation to autopilot design and servo control.
- Ideally knowledge and experience of the following:
- The MathWorks products – specifically Simulink, Embedded MATLAB and Stateflow
- C, FORTRAN and Ada
In addition you will:
- bedrivenand be capable of working on your own initiative with a minimum of supervision, as well as within an algorithm development team working transversally with other functions
- have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes
- have the ability to visualise and analyse complex systems
- have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
- be able to work with engineering teams, including in-house and contractor personnel
- have good understanding of, and good working experience in all phases of the engineering life cycle
We are aware of relevant activities in avionics and aerospace, computer vision, robotics, autonomous systems within the mobile phone industry and within the GNSS industry. We would welcome interest from those domains and others.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, discounted private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news by following our MBDA LinkedIn Company page.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.