Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Job ID: 2018385
The Embedded Software Engineer: Designs, develops, tests and maintains applications or systems programs. Gathers and provides input on functional specifications and requirements. Supports business user questions/issues regarding applications and/or systems issues and availability. Develops and maintains technical documentation. May perform other related technical support for the department or college.
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University has several open positions for embedded software systems engineers for robotics applications. We are looking for people with both robotics and non-robotics experience. We are a team with a desire to make robust software and firmware using agile development processes. In this role, your day to day work will include: debugging prototypes, building and programming custom sensors, interfacing to custom and commercial hardware, and integrating your work into complex systems.
Our current embedded systems engineers have developed mixed hardware/software systems that work under the hot Arizona sun, in the middle of a dense forest, and on a chaotic factory floor.
- Developing embedded software for robotic and general-purpose applications
- Developing on ARM embedded processor, SoC, and/or FPGA based hardware platforms
- Supporting hardware development with requirements and technology integration
- Integrate custom and COTS hardware components: sensors, controllers, networking, etc.
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open source software packages and APIs
- Participating in the software process: design, code reviews, etc.
- Build new tools for software communication, logging, and data analysis
- Developing, documenting, testing, troubleshooting, and verifying software
- Development in a Linux environment
- B.S. in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience (any more is a bonus)
- 1-5 years of professional experience
- Experience with C or C++ on embedded processor
- Experience with scripting (Bash or Python preferred)
- Experience in a Linux development environment
- Technical communication skills
- Ability to participate in a cross-functional team
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Embedded or real-time systems engineering
- Networking interfaces and applications
- Developing hardware drivers
- Debugging hardware
- Embedded Linux (Petalinux)
- Experience with HDL (VHDL/Verilog)
- Professional FPGA development tools (Xilinx Vivado/VITIS preferred)
- Microcontroller programming (stm32 or other ARM based microcontroller preferred)
- Electrical engineering and custom circuit design
- Software Architecture
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures
- Computer vision, robotics, machine learning, scientific computing, simulation, or graphics
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Have a say in your work schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader at the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the Best Robotics R&D Group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students, and offers professional development certification courses and training to educators.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.