Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Computing Systems Engineer will address and resolve computing infrastructure needs that arise from Software-in-the-loop (SIL) and Hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) simulation testing and development. The Embedded Controls Systems Department (ECSD) team develops high-fidelity launch vehicle and spacecraft closed-loop hardware and software testbeds, real-time embedded software for CubeSats and other emerging technologies.
This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA, offering a hybrid work model that combines regular onsite work and remote flexibility as the business needs allow.
What You’ll Be Doing
- You will collaborate with the Computing Systems Lead and other team members to streamline and automate the management of HIL and SIL simulation computer networks
- S/he will maintain compute infrastructure, including (but not limited to): hardware replacement, security updates, network software installation, 3rd party maintenance subscriptions, software licensing in a mixed server environment
- Interface with Enterprise Information Services (EIS) to identify and implement compliant, custom solutions for networked capabilities.
- Manage access authorization, background jobs, system performance across various levels of classification
- Evaluate vendors and make recommendations for hardware/software purchases
- You will perform a crucial function as part of the group that develops and tests Flight Software for the United States Space Force and other government customers
- You will be supported in, and will be expected to add to your expertise through Continuing Education
This position is available as Engineering Specialist or Senior Engineering Specialist
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically, 8 years of applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Experience working in an enterprise environment, both as a developer and as a Linux administrator
- Familiarity with electronics or environmental test equipment
- Experience supporting, configuring, and maintaining operating systems, hardware, applications, and system automation and configuration management technologies
- Experience maintaining Unix and Linux servers and workstations
- Effective interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
- Experience experimenting with new technology to test its suitability for a given application
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Senior Engineering Specialist
Same requirements as Engineering Specialist noted above, in addition to:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically, 12 years of applicable professional or educational experience is required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Engineering Specialist or Senior Engineering Specialist
- Knowledge and prior implementation on an enterprise scale of virtualization solutions such as KVM and LXD
- Significant experience with computers and networks to support managing laboratory networks
- Ability to maintain a mixed environment of Legacy and Modern Unix and Linux servers to maintain a consistent user experience across all machines
- Mastery of native Unix and Linux command-line tools as related to system administration
- Experience programming for scientific or large-scale network applications, especially when hardware configuration and administration naturally intersect with application performance
- DevOps experience, specifically with Jenkins Servers
- Experience with managing Git repositories
- Experience maintaining classified information systems
- Experience managing equipment / inventory control / equipment tracking
- A current and active TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government is highly desirable. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.