Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded systems engineers
Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised approximately 250M in venture capital including a recent Series D round by Andreessen Horowitz. Now surpassing a 1B valuation, Flock is scaling quickly and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of eliminating crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
About the opportunity
Flock is looking to add a Kernel Engineer to our device software team. Our device team is made up of scrappy engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by writing applications that reliably capture, process, and upload over 200M images per day for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
How You Will Take Flight With Flock
- Integrate and port SoC Android BSP to Flock hardware platforms
- Bring-up new hardware device(s) to run Android OS, working with SoC vendors and other partners
- Work with the hardware and framework teams to enable needed functionality in Android-based devices (e.g. cameras, environmental sensors, power systems, etc.)
- Develop, review, port, test, and debug Linux device drivers and Android HAL implementations
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system software from ideation through production and launch
- Work effectively across a variety of engineering teams to resolve issues and enable new features
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we're a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Integrate multiple IoT devices together to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
- Improve the quality, functionality and security of the platform and devices
- Have a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Have development experience within embedded systems/firmware design
- Have experience coding in C/C++
- Have experience with Linux kernel and device driver development
- Have strong knowledge of Linux internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency, synchronization, memory allocation, file system, networking, storage, subsystem architecture)
- Have experience in dealing with complex systems and codebases (HALs, sub-systems, etc)
- Have experience bringing up Android devices
- Have experience with Android system software and Android HALs
- Have experience working in Linux development environment with GNU toolchain
- Have experience with common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART, etc
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.