Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Maxar is currently seeking an innovative, multi-skilled Lead, Software Engineer to be a key part of our Proliferated Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Product team.
Life with Us
Your Project: In this role, you will be the architect and lead developer for a software platform that will enable a high-performance, space-based computer system to host and run a range of sophisticated software and firmware applications that include AI/ML processing. You will assemble and lead a small, highly capable team of developers to deliver working, reliable code. Your team will work hand-in-hand with the space-based application developers, avionics hardware developers, spacecraft engineers, and ground system developers in that your project forms the critical bridge between these domains. You are adept at achieving development velocity by sourcing and integrating existing components where possible, along with rapidly developing new code.
We are looking for deeply technical, hands-on leaders to bravely challenge conventional aerospace approaches, to bring expertise from domains such as IOT / autonomous systems, and to lay a foundation for brand new product/service concepts and enablers focused on cost competitive space products and services.
Our team exemplifies industry leadership: we are a very small, self-contained group of enthusiastic engineers and businesspeople, where everyone wears multiple hats, all ideas are good ideas, and no jobs are too big or too small. This is an out-of-the-box opportunity that requires out-of-the-box solutions and inspired leaders. Along with other members of this dynamic team, you will play an essential role in shaping the strategic product roadmap. In this capacity, you will work with peers in the company and with external partners to design flexible, scalable integrated solutions that envelope a range of customer needs without requiring substantial NRE to tailor them to each new pursuit.
Your Career: We’re very serious about professional development and continuing education at Maxar. We offer our team members the opportunity to define their own career trajectory. Our group has amazing resources to support learning and development. You will work with your manager, or a mentor, to set goals and design a development plan to advance your career. This unique opportunity is a high visibility role on the vanguard of innovation within the company. You will be well-supported by management and colleagues.
What We Offer: Time for dedicated professional development, conference attendance, corporate partner and industry training, peer group collaboration, hackathons, as well as paid certifications, education reimbursement and student loan forgiveness.
Who you will work with: You will be supported by the PLEO Product Manager and colleagues, as well as mission architects, systems engineers, application developers, ground system developers and spacecraft groups to oversee one or more areas of detailed engineering whether in-house or at partners and contractors, to ensure Product development objectives are met.
- Develop an integrated mission software platform with well architected APIs to enable running a range of sophisticated applications.
- Drive those elements of ground and operations architecture, interfaces and system integration, including C2 system and command & telemetry architecture, that are needed to support your platform
- Integrate cyber secure distributed processing solutions such as onboard machine learning, autonomy, and containerized mission functions using Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Develop mock-ups, proof of concept demonstrations on prototype avionics solutions using development hardware
- Influence the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems
- Develop integrated testing approaches and DevSecOps pipelines to enable rapid on boarding of new capabilities
- Seek out disruptive technologies in your area(s) of responsibility that enable Maxar to leapfrog its competition and ensuring qualification of those technologies to make them bid-ready.
- Support Maxar Mission Architecture and Business Development teams to shape and win individual new business pursuits to ensure compatibility with the Product portfolio
- Lead or support Maxar-wide initiatives. You are expected and empowered to act as a change agent to drive cost-effective new development.
How you will be evaluated:
Your performance will be measured against your product team’s development roadmap schedule and performance milestones for your area(s) of responsibility.
What we look for in team members:
As a Product team member at Maxar we expect you to demonstrate the following key qualities at all times: Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Curiosity and Courage. These align with the company values: Put the Mission First, You Matter, Act Like Owners, Do It Right, and Stay Curious.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be willing and able to obtain U.S. Government security clearance
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering or related technical field. Four additional years of experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Minimum of 15 years related work experience
- Experience working cross-functionally within a company and/or with external partners and contractors
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Demonstrated experience with concurrent development of integrated flight, ground, and mission operations software for aerospace programs, and instantiating on a variety of hardware platforms
- Demonstrated experience with abstracting software design to minimize interfaces and complexity
- Demonstrated experience trading, prototyping and implementing alternative architectures on aggressive schedules – do in weeks what used to take months, do in days what used to take weeks
- Experience with development and/or integration and/or functional testing of complex embedded systems, including one or more of the following:
- ARM-based system on chip architecture including reprogrammable FPGAs
- Real-time OS and real-time applications
- OS kernel and device driver development
- Linux and visualization including containers and hypervisors, Kubernetes
- C++ and at least one other common high-level language
- APIs and IDLs
- Agile software development practices
- Experience with hardware, firmware, and software integration with particular focus on time-dominant applications that execute in a disconnected or intermittently-connected environment
- Innovative thought leadership that leverages your cradle-to-grave product experience
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of organization and attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary, highly collaborative environment
- Experience taking products into production, including progressive design iterations to reduce delivered cost
- Excellent cross-functional skills across customers, sales, marketing, operations, development and suppliers
- Experience with embedded systems such as autonomous vehicle navigation or other IOT applications that host sophisticated software
- Advanced degree in a technical field
- Desirable: current TS/SCI investigation
Flexible, with a mild preference for Westminster, CO; Palo Alto, CA; or Los Angeles, CA.
The compensation range in Colorado for the Principal position is $131,000 - $219,000 annually, dependent on skills and experience. This position is also eligible for a bonus plan.
The compensation range in Colorado for the Fellow position is $154,000 - $256,000 annually, dependent on skills and experience. This position is also eligible for a bonus plan.
Maxar employees must follow all applicable Maxar policies and COVID-19 requirements as well as those of Maxar customers and third parties. Individual job requirements may vary, and Maxar reserves the right to modify its policies and requirements as it deems appropriate in accordance with applicable law.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.