Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
The Senior Networking Firmware Engineer is an essential part of a small and dynamic team that develops, maintains and tests SunPower's various firmware components. Your code will make an impact. It will be powering hundreds of thousands of devices in the field and be the basis for SunPower's monitoring and control services. You will enable the transition to the smart grid by developing state-of-the-art renewable energy storage and power conversion solutions. Together, we will change the way the world is powered!
You take pride in your work. You have a passion for writing elegant, robust and maintainable code. You make things work and are committed to rigorous testing and verification.
You will be working with Hardware and Software Engineering to produce highly reliable and flexible IoT monitoring products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, support and optimize cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communications interfaces on embedded Linux
- Write, maintain and refactor C++ code for our embedded monitoring device.
- Understand firmware architecture for communication with external devices such as power meters and inverters across various protocols.
- Optimize latencies in data collection and control path.
- Write bash scripts, configure a Linux system.
- Write automated tests for new features and integrate them into a continuous integration environment.
- Perform board bring-up and troubleshoot electrical and firmware issues.
- Support cloud infrastructure teams for fleet maintenance and performance monitoring.
- Troubleshoot issues in the lab as well as in the field during alpha/beta trials.
- Provide solutions that scale and support remote management of hundreds of thousands of devices.
- Collaborate with other groups on the design and implementation of new features.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of experience writing C++ code.
- 3+ years of developing software in a Linux environment.
- Thorough knowledge of IP networking design, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Understanding of Linux networking stack, configuration and customization.
- Understanding of encapsulation and object-oriented design.
- Extensive experience with embedded systems.
- Extensive experience writing multi-threaded programs.
- Commitment to writing clean, elegant and correct code.
- Familiarity with Linux at an administrator level, experience writing bash scripts.
- Experience working in a lab environment.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Experiencing shipping, at volume, IoT or consumer/networking electronics that implement BLE, Wi-Fi and cellular.
- Experience with agile development process.
- Experience with continuous integration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.