Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
About the Team:
The Sensors Division focuses on advanced sensor system technology, from airborne and surface-based radar and electronic warfare to underwater acoustics, EO/IR and hyperspectral imaging.
This position is with the Electronic Warfare and Novel Capabilities Group in the STR Sensors Division. We focus on technology development for advanced sensor systems, in the areas of airborne/surface-based radar, electronic warfare, data communications, and hyperspectral imaging. We develop algorithmic and hardware components, conduct experiment campaigns, and prototype systems. Design, build, and test roles within the Group include RF analog/digital hardware, advanced electronic warfare algorithms and techniques, signal processing and machine learning algorithms, cognitive electronic warfare applications, tracking/fusion, and real-time embedded processor implementation.
As a Lead Embedded Systems Software Design Engineer, you will work with the program manager to create and lead a technical team which designs, implements, and tests embedded systems software for advanced real-time signal processing applications for sonar, radar, electronic warfare (detection, protection, jamming, and spoofing), and data communications using open systems concepts. This position involves collaborating across a diverse multi-talented team, with great people, at all experience levels in a relaxed self-challenging environment. Multiple positions are available with responsibility commensurate on relevant experience. Occasional travel and on-premises work is required.
- Creating and leading high performing multi-disciplinary engineering teams on small to medium projects comprising electronic warfare; algorithm and machine learning design; model and simulation; mission modeling; systems design; hardware, software, and firmware design; integration and test
- Leading and conducting research to develop and implement embedded systems software for advanced real-time signal processing applications. Incorporate cutting edge thinking on design into technical vision in a way that influences team point of view and customer's understanding of problem
- Leading or supporting proposal work by providing critical technical input, driving efforts to completion, and striving to produce a high-quality, cohesive end product
- Effectively coaching staff members within the context of their projects. Expanding Division technical know-how through coaching
- Working with customers to understand their needs, develop innovative solutions, and presenting solutions to technical and non-technical audiences
- Producing task decompositions that address all aspects of the project (e.g., effective use of chosen technologies, risk reduction, system maintainability). Effectively mentoring task leads in task decomposition
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial leadership and business acumen
- Potential travel to customer meetings and/or data collections and experiments is expected
- PhD +2 years experience, MS +5 years experience, or BS +7 years experience with relevant knowledge in computer science, electrical & computer engineering, applied mathematics or a related field
- Demonstrated experience leading and supporting the development of embedded systems software for advanced real-time signal processing applications
- Familiarity of rapid prototyping design methodologies and open architectures
- Proficient in C, C++, or similar real-time embedded programming languages
- Comfortable using Python and MATLAB programming languages
- Experience developing software with GNU/Linux toolchains using open source software
- Willingness to use Agile development process and associated CI/CD tools
- Working knowledge of software design patterns and best practices
- Understanding of software-hardware interfacing techniques and implementation
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and a desire for developing software
- Ability to obtain a Security Clearance and eligible to support special access programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience preparing technical documentation such as whitepapers, engineering reports, users guides, and briefing material
- Linux kernel level modules and device driver development
- Experience writing software using a large multi-party code base
- Experience with hard real-time signal processing applications
- Working in a laboratory environment using measurement equipment and performing quantitative data analysis
- Developing software using hardware accelerators such as GPUs, DSPs, and FPGAs
- Experience implementing software using systems on a chip such as Xilinx MPSoC or RFSoC.
- Experience developing high performance applications using distributed parallel processing
- Experience developing software using machine learning techniques
- Real-time optimization of signal processing algorithms developed in languages like MATLAB or Python
- Familiarity with multi-threaded or multi-core real-time operating concepts
- Experience specifying target hardware
- Experience with high level-software architecture design
- Active Security Clearance at the Secret or Top Secret (TS) level
STR is a rapidly growing technology company with locations north of Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and near Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us. Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at email@example.com and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.