Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
AON3D is seeking an experienced Senior Embedded Engineer for the Device team that builds the software powering our machines. In this role, you will be an individual contributor designing and developing embedded software solutions for our current and future products as well as aiding in the planning and architectural design. The Senior Embedded Engineer’s main responsibility is to take ownership of the firmware and associated systems, and implement new and exciting features that advance additive manufacturing technology, working closely with the Electrical and Hardware Engineering teams. This involves working with electro-mechanical and data bus systems in our machines and the raw data from sensors used for process and motion control. As the technical expert in the domain, you will be able to guide important design decisions in conjunction with relevant teams around what hardware is chosen, and what protocols and data are used within the device. Crucially, the role will be responsible for ensuring the machines are reliable in operation and bug free!
- Implementing controllers for new electro-mechanical systems.
- Developing robust firmware update mechanisms.
- Optimizing hot codepaths within realtime control systems to improve performance.
- Designing data handling and command protocols.
- Developing custom functionality for internal research and development efforts.
- Evaluating and auditing components and tools relevant to the embedded systems.
- Writing drivers for communication with Linux systems.
- Creating device images and build pipelines
Qualifications / Nice to Have's
- Expert knowledge of C/C++ and associated tooling.
- Comfortable with Python, Make/CMake, embedded debuggers, and build system scripts.
- Familiarity with open source 3D printer firmwares (Klipper, Marlin)
- Familiarity with Yocto Linux or Buildroot.
- Experience with electro-mechanical components including servos, steppers, solenoids and relays.
- Experience with micro-controller peripherals, UARTs, SPI, I2C, and ADCs.
- Familiarity with IoT devices and firmware update strategies.
- Understanding of realtime systems design and how to identify and resolve performance bottlenecks.
- 4+ years experience with industrial or consumer hardware devices.
At AON3D, we build industrial 3D printing systems for high performance plastics & composites. The technology we're developing solves hard material science problems to make use of the thousands of known thermoplastic blends possible.
Our open materials approach makes far more advanced 3D printing materials possible to work with, and more materials are being added every day. Every existing thermoplastic blend was invented by a team of engineers for a use case. We're unlocking a massive market opportunity by enabling engineers to use the right plastic for their problem.
Today, AON3D serves hundreds of the world's most advanced engineering organizations in industries spanning aerospace, robotics, manufacturing, energy, education, and health care.
The materials we print are strong enough to replace metals and can operate in some of the harshest chemical conditions on (and off) earth - letting organizations like NASA, Blue Origin, Astrobotic, L’Oreal, and owner-operated companies build functional parts perfect for everyday products.
We think that the hardware is just a small piece of the 3d printing puzzle, and integrating materials data and polymer science with advanced software and geometry analysis is the path forwards. You won't just be building software in a vacuum - you'll be working hand-in-hand with a cross-disciplinary team to bring an advanced hardware product to life.
Expect daily interactions to include team mates who span diverse backgrounds from mechanical engineering, material science, computational geometry, and machine vision (as well as many more!) all of which are united in the mission of bringing 3D printing to the next level!
What to expect after you submit your application:
We do our best to review and action all applications within 5 business days of receipt. Although we’d love to be able to speak with everyone that applies, due to the volume of applicants we receive and time constraints, only those selected to move forward will receive a follow-up.
AON3D is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are given consideration regardless of race, religion, colour, gender, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class as provided in applicable employment laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.