Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) is comprised of 10 companies and is located at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL (ranked #1 in Best Places to Live by U.S. News for 2022-2023). JSEG has been a primary contractor for NASA since 1989 and supports marquee NASA programs, including the Space Launch System, International Space Station, space optics fabrication, earth and space sciences and advanced propulsion system development. As a partner in NASA’s next generation of space exploration, our jobs are literally history in the making!
The Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GN&C) team is a high performing group executing challenging tasks to design and integrate GN&C systems for projects ranging from CubeSats, to Mars sample return, to NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS).
We are searching for highly qualified candidates to support the Human Lander System in the Control Systems Design and Analysis branch at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. Successful candidates will serve as a Dynamics, Controls, Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis Engineer. This exciting work will serve as a critical step in sending humans back to the Moon, Mars and beyond!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop, model, simulate, and analyze launch vehicle and spacecraft dynamics, control systems, performance, and stability in both the frequency and time domains with varying levels of fidelity
- Conduct trades studies and/or sensitivity analyses related to launch vehicles and spacecraft
- Create, edit, and debug software written in C/C++, Matlab, Simulink, and/or other languages
- Develop, modify, maintain, and improve software simulations, tools, and scripts
- Support the design, integration, analysis, and documentation of GN&C products
- Prepare and present technical reports and/or briefings including visualization of results
- Create and review engineering and software documentation
Here's What You'll Need:
A degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, of Electrical Engineering, or a related field is required. A degree from an ABET accredited institution preferred. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a PhD with at least 4 years of experience, an MS with at least 8 years of experience, or a BS with at least 10 years of experience.
- Proficiency in design, development, modeling, simulation, and analysis of flight/attitude control systems using thrust vector control actuators (hydraulic and/or electromechanical), and/or Reaction Control Systems (thrusters) using phase plane control algorithms, or other feedback-controlled effectors.
- Proficiency modeling, simulating, and analyzing the performance of dynamical systems
- Proficiency analyzing system performance in the time and frequency domain (Nichols, Bode, Nyquist, Root Locus, etc.) using parametric, Monte Carlo, and statistical techniques
- Programming in Matlab, Simulink, and/or C/C++
- Ability to utilize and work with coordinate frames, transformations, and quaternions
- Familiarity with and an understanding of trajectory and orbital dynamics
- Must be detail oriented, self-motivated, and can work both independently and collaboratively
- Experience with providing technical presentations to a broad array of audiences
- Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to derive nonlinear and linear state equations related to multi-body dynamical systems, spacecraft, and launch vehicles and develop closed form solutions to those where appropriate
- Experience with interplanetary lander projects (Moon, Mars, etc.)
- Experience developing control systems with pilot in the loop capabilities
- Modeling of aerodynamics, slosh, pogo, and other dynamics impacting vehicle stability
- Experience performing modeling and analysis of rigid and flexible body structural dynamics
- Familiarity with software development, verification, and validation.
- Programming in Simscape, Python, or other languages
- Experience developing and tuning guidance algorithms
- Experience with modeling, simulating, and analyzing navigation systems including, but not limited to, gyroscopes, accelerometers, inertial measurement units, GPS, star trackers, etc.
- Experience with creating animations/visualization from results of 3-DoF/6-DoF simulations using tools such as Unreal Engine, Satellite Tool Kit (STK), etc.
The Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally within a framework of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join our team on the Engineering Services and Science Capability Augmentation (ESSCA) contract whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
For more information on why Huntsville is known as “one of the smartest cities in the nation”, check out these websites:
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines:
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions:
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.