Embedded Systems Jobs
For embedded developers
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
You will be a key contributor to the embedded electronics hardware design and implementation of all our hardware products – Spotter, Smart Mooring, Bristlemouth and next generation platforms. Your initial focus will be on Sofar's new open hardware connectivity stack - Bristlemouth https://www.bristlemouth.org. You thrive in small and collaborative multidisciplinary teams, and are eager to pitch in to debug and solve gnarly issues (even when it's obviously a mechanical problem). You strive for the shared success of improving the health of our oceans and planet by shipping a cohesive, solid and impactful product.
Some projects you’ll be a part of:
- Advancing the Bristlemouth connectivity technology and building new Bristlemouth integrations for Spotter and Smart Mooring
- Developing next generation platforms
- Advanced research and experiments with new and emerging technologies
- Integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks
- Design, prototype, test and implement excellent embedded systems
- Collaborate with the manufacturing and supply chain teams to smoothly steward designs into production
- Participate in design reviews, brainstorms and whiteboard sessions with the broader team
- Work alongside firmware and mechanical engineers in integrating, testing and debugging systems
- Community collaboration and support for open source developments – like Bristlemouth
Minimum Job Qualifications
- At least 3 years of professional embedded hardware experience
- Comfortable and competent in schematic capture and PCB layout
- Experienced at prototyping and testing physical systems with modern instrumentation and test equipment
- Significant experience with multiple embedded processor platforms
- An understanding of common hardware peripherals and interfaces
- Skilled at using Altium Designer
- Experience with low level embedded networking
- Past work in IoT, robotics, drones and/or automotive products
- Competency in firmware and/or software engineering
- A passion for or connection to the ocean
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.